The Law Office of Wilton A. Person The Law Office of Wilton A. Person Contact Us
  1. L-1A   Intracompany transfer in a managerial or executive position
  2. L-1B   Intracompany transfer in a position utilizing specialized knowledge
L-1 visa is a "Petition for Non-immigrant Worker," on behalf of a foreign national who works outside the United States for a business that has a parent company, subsidiary, branch, or affiliate in the U.S. These workers, called "intracompany-transferees," come to the United States temporarily to perform services. Such individuals, who perform services in a managerial or executive capacity, are called "L-1A Non-immigrants." Such individuals, who possess specialized knowledge, are called "L-1B Non-immigrants." The foreign national must be coming to the United States to work for a parent company, branch, subsidiary or affiliate of the same business that employed the individual abroad. In order to qualify, the individual must have been employed abroad by the corporation, firm, other legal entity, affiliate, or subsidiary on a full-time basis for at least one continuous year during the last three-year period.

L-1 Multinational Intracompany Transferee

If you are an executive, manager or employee (with some unique or specialized knowledge) of a multinational company, your company may petition for you to temporarily work in the United States. To be eligible to work in the United States:
  • You must have been employed abroad by the parent, branch or subsidiary corporation (sponsor or petitioner) for at least 1 year of the prior 3 years
  • Your company must have a legal business entity, nonprofit charitable or religious organization operating in the United States

L-1 A Manager

To be eligible for L-1A classification as a multinational manager, your sponsoring company must demonstrate that your assignment includes:
  • Managing the organization, or a department, subdivision, function or component of the organization
  • Supervising or controlling the work of other supervisory, professional or managerial employees, or managing an essential function within the company or a department or subdivision of the organization
  • Has the authority to hire and fire or has the responsibility of personnel actions (such as promotion and leave authorization).
  • Exercising discretion over the day-to-day operations of the activity or function for which the employee has authority.

L-1 A Executive

To be eligible for the L-1A classification as a multinational executive, your sponsoring company must demonstrate that your assignment includes:
  • Directing the management of the organization or a major component or function of the organization
  • Establishing the goals and policies of the organization, component or function
  • Exercising wide latitude in discretionary decision-making
  • Receiving only general supervision or direction from higher-level executives, the board of directors or stockholders of the organization

L-1B Employee with Specialized Knowledge

To be eligible for L-1B classification as an employee with specialized knowledge, your sponsoring company must demonstrate that your job knowledge includes specialized knowledge about a company's product, service, research, equipment, techniques, management or other interests and its application in international markets, or an advanced level of knowledge or expertise in the company's processes and procedures.

L-1A or L-1B Sponsors

To be eligible to apply for an L-1A or L-1B employee transfer from an entity abroad to a United States entity, your employer must be part of a qualifying organization. Qualifying organization means a United States or foreign firm, corporation or other legal entity that is a parent, branch, affiliate or subsidiary of the entity you are transferring from. Your organization must be doing business in the United States as an employer as well as at least one other country. Your company must demonstrate an employer-employee relationship with you. The L-1A or L-1B visa is not limited to for-profit corporations or partnerships, so the organization applying for you may be a charitable, religious or other non-profit group.

We represent clients nationwide. For experienced employment visa advice, contact us today (toll free) at 1-888-678-5724 for a free consultation with an immigration attorney.  We look forward to protecting your rights and serving your immigration needs.