The Law Office of Wilton A. Person The Law Office of Wilton A. Person Contact Us
A family-sponsored permanent residence Visa is available to any non-U.S. citizen who has certain family members in the United States who are willing to sponsor the Visa, under certain conditions:

The sponsor must be related to the non-citizen by one of many means. There are four classifications for sponsor-applicant relationships, including the following:

  • Immediate Relatives
    • Parent of a U.S. citizen over age 21
    • Spouse of U.S. citizen
    • Children of U.S. citizens who are under 21 and non-married
    • Spouse of deceased citizen provided that the couple was married for two years upon the death and that there was no legal separation in place.
  • First Family-Sponsored Preference
    • Unmarried adult children of U.S. Citizens (age 21 or older)
  • Second Family-Sponsored Preference
    • Spouse of a lawful permanent resident (not the same as a U.S. Citizen)
    • Unmarried child of a lawful permanent resident
  • Third Family-Sponsored Preference
    • Married children of U.S. citizens
  • Fourth Family-Sponsored Preference
    • Siblings of adult U.S. citizens (citizens that are 21 or older)
    • The applicant does not have to be in the country to apply for residency or become a permanent resident. All of the paperwork can be done online, or through the mail, as well as at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in the home country.
    • Applicants who have overstayed their welcome or come to the U.S. without documentation or inspection face severe penalties, including jeopardizing the ability to apply for family-sponsored permanent residence. Anyone who is in the country for longer than 180 days is subject to 3 years of being barred from returning to the U.S. upon their departure. If they remain in the U.S. for more than 365 days, the person will be barred for 10 years. There are waivers for this situation, but they are rarely granted.

If you are in the process of applying for Family-Sponsored Permanent Residence and need legal advice or counsel, you should contact the professionals at Law Office of Wilton A. Person. We have substantial experience in Immigration Law and can help you navigate the complex immigration process, including overcoming barriers to your approval. Contact us today (toll free) at 1-888-678-5724 for a free consultation with an immigration attorney. We look forward to protecting your rights and serving your immigration needs.